Monday, January 26, 2009

House of Mystery #9 - Vertigo


Since I'm thinking of trying to save money weekly on my pulls . . and honestly, this series, for me, is starting to go the way of Jack of Fables . . . which, really, isn't a surprise because it written by the same guy, Matthew Sturges . . I think I may be leaving this title behind, pretty soon. Honestly, the best thing about this particular issue is the Glenn Fabry cover. Ok, maybe I'm a little jumpy there. There's a story in the middle by Bill Willingham and Berni Wrightson that's pretty cool. It's a bit predictable, but . . hey, it's Berni Wrightson. The rest of the book, with Fig . . the girl that came to the house in issue #1 and thinks it's hers because she drew the plans for it . . is all over the place. I can kind of see where they're going with it, but . . I'm also kind of in that 'who cares?' mode. Matthew has tried to throw so much stuff at us these first 9 issues that . . I kind of feel like he's worked himself into a corner with this story. Plus, although we seen these characters every issue, there's been little to none in the way of character development. There's nothing to make the reader buy in. It's this fantastic story, with these fairly odd people, in a magical place. But, other than that . . . I don't know . . it's just . . kind of frantic, I guess is the best way to describe it. So, unfortunately, I think I'm going to be dropping this book also. It just doesn't do it for me. Which is sad because . . I really wanted to like this book. But now I find it hard to justify spending $3 an issue on it. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment