Sunday, January 04, 2009

Black Terror #2 - Dynamite Entertainment


I'll tell ya, I think Alex Ross and Jim Krueger are doing a fantastic job with this series. They just do an incredible job of illustrating the frustration the the Black Terror is going through right now. To tell you the truth, when I was reading it, it was hard for me not to compare the shape that our world's in right now . . as compared to the world that the Black Terror is experiencing. I could really empathize with how defeating and confusing this experience is to him. Especially . . . can you imagine? . . . not seeing the gradual change in the world over the last few decades? And then, when he's brought out of the urn, as compared to when he was put in . . in the 40's . . what a difference it would be having to open your eyes to the world of 2009? In the beginning, the Black Terror goes to the Lincoln memorial and begins talking to it . . "I've tried hard to remind myself of what I was. Back when I only wanted to serve this country. When the power was new. And the enemy was half a world away. But the enemy is here now. Right here. A fellow citizen." The first couple of pages were really moving to me. Then, compounding on this philosophical frustration, he's also got to deal with the uncertainty of knowing what happened to his comrade, Tim. When they went off to war together, he swore that he'd protect the young man with his dying breath, but . . it's hard to protect someone when you don't even know for sure where they're at. Long story short, he makes his way into the White House . . he wants to confront the President about Tim, but then . .he finds himself taken down by some more of his comrades, the Patriots. Apparently they're working for the government now. They're ready to take him into custody for sedition, attempted murder, and treason. This is a fine pickle he's gotten himself in to. Mike Lilly is doing a tremendous job with the pencils on this book. I really love the whole creative feel of this book. I can't wait to see what happens next.

No comments:

Post a Comment