Sunday, January 25, 2009

Jonah Hex #39 - DC


Another great Western tale to take my mind off all of these super-hero books. Justin Gray and Jimmy Palmiotti, I think, do a great job with this series. Jimmy seems to have a more positive influence on Justin than Bill Willingham does. I'm just sayin'. Anyways Rafa Garres does the art for this issue. It's not great, but . . it's not bad. I think it fits in quite nicely with the theme and story in this book. He does the cover also, so . . that's basically what you get on the inside. I like this story. It's basically about a man who was made a Deputy out of desperation. Well . . when the Sheriff and the rest of his family is killed . . it's time for him to step up to the plate. But he never really wanted the job. Jonah kind of pushes him into making a couple of tough decisions, and . . when some outlaws step into the local saloon . . he steps up to ask them to leave, not knowing that they see Jonah sitting in the crowd. They don't stick around long, and the sheriff . . ends up growing a pair. I think it just shows us that cowardice, or heroism, isn't necessarily a trait we can claim . . it's essentially the result of our actions in a given situation. Are you going to step up and do what's right, or . . are you going to stand back and watch what's happening. It's really up to you. But enough of the soap-box. I like this book because it's different. None of the other western books out there seem to be lasting long, so . . I'm glad to see this one. I think the theme and direction they've taken with it is perfect. Keep up the good work, guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment