Monday, January 05, 2009

Batman #683 - DC


Really, my only complaint about this issue is that I wish I would've read it before Final Crisis #5. But I think it was just a little thing with the timing of the issues. In the last issue of Batman we learned that these 2 minions of Darkseids, Mokkari and Simyan, had Batman and were attempting to use his knowledge and memories to train an army of cloned soldiers. Then in Final Crisis #5, Mokkari is apologizing to Darkseid that their attempt, or experiment, had failed. And that through Batman's efforts their army was basically destroyed. Which is what I figured was going to happen. Then, this issue comes out . . and we get the actual story of what Batman did and how. I think it would've read better to read this issue before Final Crisis #5, but . . I'm sure they didn't want to hold that issue up just because of this. It's really not that big of a deal. I mean, I'm still thrilled with all of this work that Grant Morrison is producing for DC and especially for Batman. With the sheer volume of work that he's doing, I'm sure there's going to be a few glitches along the way. It's inevitable. Anyways, this issue we see that as Batman's going along through these false memories, he begins to question their integrity and continuity. Lump, this gelatinous mass that looks kind of like Clay-Face, is the conduit through which Mokkari is manipulating Batman's psyche. He's monitoring Batman's dreams and memories by appearing in them as Alfred. Which is brilliant on Lump's part . . it gives him first-hand and intimate knowledge into the scenes that are unfolding. But, at the same time, it's his undoing. During the course of this, Alfred/Lump has talked to and interacted with Batman about things that the real Alfred couldn't have possibly known. And that's what trips him up. When Batman finally realizes that something is amiss, he confronts Lump and makes him show himself. "How can you fight me? I am life without form . . I have no nerves. I feel no pain. Your enemies have operatives and technology beyond your capacity. They're stealing your DNA. Your memories. To imprint unstoppable soldiers. Driven by your trauma." And in that, I think . . Lump finally reveals to much. "Then tell them they can have it. You can have it, too. If you can bear it all at once. What . . do . . you . . deserve?" And that's when everything starts to fall apart. The experiences and traumas that Bruce has endured are simply to much for the normal, if you can call any of this normal . . . for the normal being to encounter or accept. And in the trauma that Lump endures . . I think he actually comes over to Batman's side and tries to help him. "There are more memories left to process. Ready?" And that's when Lumps physical form begins to shake and quiver. "Interesting. The chemicals I kept thinking about . . are sedatives. I can taste them. I'm restrained somewhere. Unconscious. I need you to get me out. I need your help. If I die, we both die. If I live, you live on in my memory, Lump. You know me now as well as anyone. I'll find the men who killed you. Need a jolt to get you moving?" That's when he gives Lump some of his worst memories. Lump starts rampaging through the facility, and of course Mokkari and Simyan take him down. But not before he and Batman have dealt a devastating blow to their little enterprise here. Just as Batman had created the alternate identity within his own mind, Batman of Zurr-en-rahh, to pull himself out of the insanity during RIP, he also proves her that it's impossible to manipulate the mind of someone who has prepared for every eventuality, including someone trying to manipulate his memories. Now the question once again is . . what's happened to the Batman? Did he fall when Mokkari's 'factory' came down around his ears? Or is he laying in the rubble, somewhere, waiting for the drugs to where off and he becomes strong enough to dig his way out? Or, are these last 2 harrowing escapes going to prove to much for even Batman's body to endure? I don't know. But I thought this was a fantastic issue. I especially liked Lee Garbett's pencils. Trevor Scott did the inks, and I think their styles meshed perfectly. You can see the amazing Alex Ross cover pictured here. But there's also a very nice Tony Daniel cover. There's some exciting stuff going on here, and I can't wait to see where we go now.

No comments:

Post a Comment