Thursday, September 24, 2009

Superman: Secret Origin #1 - DC

Ok . . $3.99 for an issue of a mini-series . . I'm hearing echoes of Marvel here. But . . this particular issue has 40 pages of art. So . . I guess I can't complain to much about the price. Plus . . the creative team consists of Geoff Johns and Gary Frank. So I'm expecting good things here. My only real concern going into it . . once I read a few pages and realized that it was starting in Clark's teenage years . . is that is was going to feel like an episode of Smallville. But, to me . . it really didn't. Geoff writes fantastic dialogue between his characters, and the whole relationship between Clark, Martha and Jonathan was fantastic. We're introduced to some of Clark's supporting cast this issue, but . . the story is really all about Clark. So far he's had a pretty normal childhood. Well . . except for those few instances where his powers have kind of flared up out of nowhere. But now . . now that he's getting close to puberty . . and he's getting to that age where he's starting to question things . . Jonathan decides that it's probably time to tell him about the rocket-ship. He doesn't expect much of it. He just wants to give him a little hint as to why he's different . . why he's special. But when Clark comes into close proximity of the ship . . the teaching and training protocols put in by Jor-El activate. First everyone is scared, and then Clark is pissed. Now he's decided that he doesn't want to be different. He doesn't want to be special. He just wants to be Clark Kent. And really who can blame him? Like I said . . he's had a pretty decent childhood so far. So right now, he's decided to pretty much ignore things. While Martha has decided to try to work with and listen to the crystal so that she can get a little more information about the world that Clark came from. But in the meantime, they've decided to take some precautions. Martha has made him some glasses made out of the lenses from the rocket. I don't think she's really thinking of them as camouflage . . or as a way to hide his secret. Right now she's just trying to make sure he doesn't light anything on fire with his heat-vision. However, after riding out the tornado, and saving Lana . . Clark's decided that he really likes helping people. So to help him with that, Martha has taken his blankets from the ship . . and some of the images from the crystals, and has made Clark a costume to where when he's helping people. I'm not exactly sure why she's made this leap, but . . it's the beginning of the Superman costume . . obviously. Except when Clark comes down the steps wearing it, to show Ma and Pa, he says . . 'You both better take a nice, long look . . because today is the last time I ever wear this.' Overall I thought the issue had a great feel to it. I really wasn't sure what to expect. I mean . . how many times has this story been retold? But it seems like Geoff and Gary have found some new ground to cover . . some of the in-between stuff. Plus . .I just love a good Superman story. What can I say?

No comments:

Post a Comment