Thursday, September 24, 2009

the Web #1 - DC

I have to admit . . I really liked this book. I think I liked this one better than the Shield book. The Web, in my opinion, is more along the lines of the traditional super-hero. Anyways, I thought that Angela Robinson, and Roger Robinson did a great job with this book. The story was good, and the art, inked by Hilary Barta, I thought looked great. This one picks up right after JMS's minis . . the introduction to all of these characters. In the Web's book, his brother was killed by someone trying to extort their family. Since David was in trouble, and he is the Web . . he used his powers to try to fix the situation. However the guys doing the extorting saw this as John alerting the authorities, and promptly gassed David. That's what ended up killing him. So now John Raymond, or rather the Web, has a pair of bad guys in his sights . . a Dr Archer, and his muscle Deadly Force. I think this character has a ton of potential. On the civilian side, he's kind of a Bruce Wayne type of character. He doesn't play up the playboy role, but he does use his money to buy him information and to help him get through situations. On the hero side . . we don't exactly know what his powers are yet, but he seems to try to muscle his way through most situations. But that may also be because he's dealing with the recent death of his brother right now. He just seems more emotion than intellect right now. I think he just needs to focus more. However, and the end of the story we find out that David's love, April is also somehow involved. It definitely has potential. We'll just have to see where it goes. In the back-up, we get some more of the Hangman character. He kind of reminds me of the Spectre. He spends his nights dealing out justice, and warnings to people that do wrong. But before just killing them, he tries to warn them. He tries to give them the chance to choose the right path on their own. As his alter-ego, Dr Robert Dickering, he tries to save everyone. Good and bad alike. Again, I think this character has potential, it just seems like a pretty simple set-up right now. This story was written by John Rozum. But the best part of it was Bill Sienkiewicz's inks over Tom Derenick's pencils. These two make a fantastic creative team on the art. I'll stick with these titles as long as they interest me. But we'll have to wait and see how long that lasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment