Thursday, September 17, 2009

Vengeance of the Moon Knight #1 - Marvel

Yes I ended up picking it up. I don't know . . when I was in the shop I looked through the art. I thought it looked good enough that I didn't want to pass it up. But I'm still on the fence whether I'll be sticking with it or not. We'll see. Anyways, it appears that Moon Knight is now existing in the form of Jake Lockley, and . . he's trying to change. No more alcohol, no more pills. Also he's tired of hiding on the West Coast or south of the border. He's decided that he wants to be back in New York City, the heart of it all, and . . he wants to go a-list all the way. Big image, big toys and no more killing or maiming. From now on he's just going turn in the bad guys like the rest of the 'big-guns'. He's starts out this issue by stopping a bank robbery, and apprehending all the culprits . . no killing, mutilation or maiming. 'They're just disgruntled, Captain.' He's also trying to put back his circle of friends. Marlene sees that he's back in town, and he's already got Ray and Samuels working for him. And he appears to be doing a pretty good job of ignoring the Bushman. You know, how he's always like his bad conscience. Then, at the end of this issue, as he's standing on a rooftop overlooking the city, he's confronted by . . the Sentry. 'Who do you think you are . . a super-hero?' A little bit of over-kill on Norman's part, I would think. Anyways, this issue is brought to us by Gregg Hurwitz and Jerome Opena. I enjoyed Gregg's story. I liked the last series, but . . it was a little dark. Which is fine for an arc or 2, but not for the whole series. And, as I said earlier, I loved Jerome's art. I thought he did a fantastic job. Now, that being said, there was something about this issue that pissed me off. I don't mind paying $3.99 for an issue, if they give us something special. But this issue? In the back they reprint Moon Knight #1 from 1980. Now despite the fact that I already have this issue, this story has been reprinted at least a half-dozen times. If somebody really wants it, I'm sure there's more than one TPB that contains it. But no . . we're forced to get it so they can jack the price up to $3.99, instead of $2.99. Because of that, I refuse to buy any of the alternate covers. As much as I enjoyed the book . . I felt like I was ripped-off. This also may affect my decision on picking up issue #2 . . or not. If there's another reprint, and another jacked-up price . . I may just have to skip it. Which is a shame because it looks like this title has some potential. But I can't afford to keep adding titles to my list every month. Especially when I feel cheated.

No comments:

Post a Comment