Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Wolverine: First Class #9 - Marvel


Any chance to get another Wolverine story on the shelves every month is a good enough excuse for me. But to be honest, I really only started on this series because I enjoyed the X-Men: First Class series as much as I did. I didn't expect it to be the same. Obviously Wolverine is a darker character, but . . I thought it would be interesting to see these earlier unknown adventures. So far I haven't been let down. I think Fred Van Lente is doing a great job with these stories. He's really doing a good job of keeping Wolverine in character and true to his nature. That's really the only thing that worries me about him being so accessible. I'm just afraid that through the sheer number of creators that somewhere along the line he's going to get diluted . . fall out of form. But, right now . . it's a needless worry. Also Francis Portela draws this issue, and personally I think it's a great job. This issue the whole story revolves around Logan and Shang-chi. Logan's tired of getting his ass handed to him everytime he takes on Sabretooth. So this time, while Sabretooth is holding Kitty to bait him . . Logan decides maybe it's time he learns some new moves so he can surprise Creed and possibly get the upper hand. If I had to complain about one thing this issue it would only be that I was disappointed that Kitty didn't have a more active role. We see her in a couple of panels this issue, but it's only as Sabretooth holds her unconscious in a net. I always thought that Logan and Kitty made a great team . . even if it was reluctant on his part. So I was happy to find out that so far this series seems to be revolving around that time period. Anyways, I enjoyed the issue from cover to cover. It just seemed like a classic Wolverine tale to me. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment