Sunday, December 14, 2008

Teen Titans #65 - DC


First of all I want to say that I think Sean McKeever is doing a good job with this team. Unfortunately he's come into the book at a time when there aren't very many members left. There's always charter members around that are willing to help out in a pinch, but . . the core group, right now, seems to be at the weakest it's been in quite a while. However, I really think he's about to change all that. This issue is all about Cassandra, Wonder-girl. She's been fighting demons for quite a while now. For a while she was Zeus' favored, but . . then somehow she fell in with Ares. The problem was, in order to fully realize the strength that Ares had given her, she needed to be enraged and full of hatred. As much as she wanted the power, that was something she wasn't willing to do. No matter how intoxicating it was when she was mad. So now Ares has sent his new prodigal after her, Lycus. He was a former king of Libya. He was naturally full on anger and hatred so he attracted Ares attention and became his new disciple . . his son. But as I said this story is all about Cassie. During the fight she finally realizes . . "Zeus told me I could only beat you with my own power. I finally realize what he meant. I've always been running on borrowed steam. First from my father, and then from my brother, but now . . . every last bit of rage-fueled strength Ares gave me is yours. For the first time ever . . . the butt-kicking's one hundred percent on me!" So it seems that Cassie has finally found herself and is back to full strength. At the end of this issue she informs her mother that she'll be leaving Georgetown and returning to the Tower full-time. Also don't forget the Bombshell is part of the group now . . whether she wants to be or now. Her father asked them to help protect her. She needs protection from the government, and more specifically from Project Quantum. On the final page we see a soldier interrogating her father. His controller informs him . . "None of it will get out, because we are going to capture, test, kill and then dissect Amy Sue Allen so that Project Quantum may continue. If you have a problem with any of that, soldier . . . I won't have any trouble replacing you. Now try a little waterboarding. See if that shakes Colonel Allen's tongue loose." As disturbing as that sounds, it's even more so because the controller is . . . Amy's mother. Personally, I think Eddy Barrows is doing a fantastic job with the art on this series. He really seems to enjoy drawing characters like Lycus. On his web-site, there's some fantastic sketches that he's got of him. Anyways, as far as the book goes . . I thoroughly enjoyed it. I know there's opinions out there that aren't really happy with the strength, or members, of the group right now. All I can say is . . hang in there. I think that things are about to change. Afterall, that's the constant with this group. Right?

1 comment:

  1. I am actually kind of optimistic in regards to the next issue of this series for the first time in a long time. I'm definitely one of those people not really happy with the current makeup of the team, and I am hoping Sean plans to infuse some new blood to the roster. Personally though, I still wish the team contained Superboy, Kid Flash and Ravager...

    I don't know about you, but I was kind of hoping that Lycus would have stuck around a little longer. I think Lycus would make for an interesting re-occuring foe for the Titans, thanks to his connection to Cassie. Plus Eddy's depiction of Lycus was fantastic!

    ReplyDelete