Thursday, December 25, 2008

the Amazing Spider-man #579 - Marvel


I really liked this story. I've talked and talked about how, to me, the strength of this character is his supporting cast. All the people that are involved in Peter's, and Spider-man's life are what make this book so thoroughly entertaining. But, with that being said . . this whole issue is focused on Spider-man and his attempt to get all of these people out of the sub-way tunnel that collapsed around them last issue. None of the traditional supporting cast was anywhere to be found . . thank god, or they'd be stuck down here too, but . . he still interacted with the people that he was involved with. And it was that interaction, and their conversations, that really made this book interesting to me. Especially the new character that was introduced . . JJ's father. Apparently he's been out of JJ's life for quite a while but moved back to the city about a year ago. The people on this sub-way car that we're attacked . . essentially, that's what it was . . are all juror's on a mob trial. JJ's father is a member of this jury. There was a bomb placed on the car, and then the Shocker was hired to make sure the job was finished. Anyways, the escape from this situation seems pretty hopeless, but Spider-man is doing everything he can. In the process he tries to keep the people interacting through conversation so, hopefully, he can keep their mind off of just how serious their situation really is. Eventually they do get out, but not without some serious effort on Spider-man's part. JJ shows up at the scene because he sees a picture of the Jurors when they're reporting the story on TV. I'm not sure if he recognized his father or not, but he races down there pretty fast. And Spider-man can't wait to rub it in his face that now he's going to owe him one. In all of the confusion, though, JJ's father slips away and neither of them see him again. I thought that Mark Waid did a good job with this story. Even without all of his supporting cast, he still kept the book interesting and emotionally moving. I wasn't overly thrilled with Marcos Martin's pencils, but . . there are some moments of brilliance. I think that's what frustrates me about artists sometimes . . their lack of consistency. Like in this book, there's some panels that are absolutely incredible, but then . . some that look like they could be out of a kid's book. Maybe I'm being overly critical. I mean, I couldn't do what Marcos does . . even the simple stuff. I'll just say that his work didn't thrill me this issue . . and leave it at that. But, overall . . I did enjoy the book. Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. I have not picked up a Spiderman book in years. Maybe it's time for me to do so. Great reviews.

    ReplyDelete