Monday, December 15, 2008

Madame Xanadu #6 - Vertigo

This black & white cover by Frank Quitely must have been the first one commissioned for this book. It's what was in the previews a month ago. But on the actual book, we get this color cover by Amy Reeder Hadley. Sometimes this happens, and normally I would just put the actual cover in the blog. But, this cover is by Frank Quitely. I can't just erase that and not share it with anybody else. Right? Anyways, this comic isn't as flamboyant as the last I read, Jack of Fables, but . . it is just as unique. Matt Wagner is weaving a fantastic tale here. I'm starting to wonder who's really reading the Tarot cards, Nimue . . or Matt? You gotta wonder. Anyways, at the end of the last issue our Madame Xanadu was imprisoned in the cellars of the French government. Eventually she would be forgotten, but without her longevity potions, in the short period of time that she's been here . . her age has begun to catch up with her body . . literally hundreds of years in mere weeks. To be released from her imprisonment, and have her youth restored, she has to call up Death herself. And then, she has to best her in a reading of the cards. All of this leads her to the next stop upon her trip, the rise of the British empire. And, another encounter with the Phantom Stranger. This time though she's not as infatuated with his spirit. This time it seems like she's actually agitated with him for his ambivalence. After he watches the Queen beheaded he bids her adieu. "Again. You just up and leave? Stranger. You are a hypocrite at best and a villain at worst! Truthfully, I can't decide which! Whenever our paths shall cross again . . I will do all in my power to disrupt your questionable cause and your crass manipulations! I swear it will be so!" It'll be interesting to see what happens the next time she comes across his presence. Like I said, I really like the tale that Matt is weaving here. But, what's really got me coming back to this book is the artwork of Amy Reeder Hadley. It's very crisp and clean, and . . . I really love the feel that she brings to this book. I have a feeling this is really just the beginning for her.




No comments:

Post a Comment