Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Young X-Men #8 - Marvel


I kind of have mixed feelings about this issue. I really like these characters and this team. I'm glad that Victor is back, and I'm glad that these kids are back with their mentors in San Francisco. However, I don't think anybody really likes this Ink character. I'm talking teammates and readers alike. I mean he was assisting Pierce and . . he's a bit of an ass. But he wouldn't be the first 'unlikeable' character that the X-Men have brought into their fold. And, to me, 'mutant' or 'not-mutant' is irrelevant. The kid has powers, because of his 'tats', so obviously he needs guidance and training. To deny it because of his DNA would be . . well, racist. So this issue tries to deal with where he got his powers from . . the tattoo artist, Leon Nunez. First Scott and team are wondering if he even knows that he's a mutant. Secondly, they're wondering how many people Leon's given 'tats' to. This has become more of an issue because one Julio Rodriguez recently broke his older brother Carlos out of prison with a bomb tattoo. When they question Ink about it he gets mad and takes off . . supposedly leaving the X-Men. They don't make much headway when they go to question Leon either. However, when the team goes after the Rodriguez brothers, they find out that they may have bitten off a little more than they can chew. They are a gang after all, and the X-Men haven't had a lot of experience with this type of group, or family. They're quickly outnumbered and outmaneuvered. However, on the final page, Cipher shows up to ask Ink to come back and help his team. " . . you're still an X-Man. And your team is in trouble." I like the story that Marc Guggenheim is constructing here. I like that we have another outcast that trying to make his way onto the team. We've faced that before with Wolverine, Rogue, Gambit, Emma, etc. etc., but . . it always makes for a compelling storyline. Even if the character isn't particularly likeable . . everybody wants to root for the underdog. "Here I come . . to save the day!" Sorry! Cartoon flashback. When I was growing up, I was glued to the TV every Saturday morning. Anyways, Marc does the stories and Rafa Sandoval does the pencils. The arts ok. There's some panels that look fantastic. The panel with Dust on page 11 looks great. I just feel like the artwork is inconsistent. I think Rafa has potential, we just need to get some more experience. This book has some great characters and a lot of potential. I hope it makes it.

No comments:

Post a Comment