Sunday, December 07, 2008

Terra #2 & #3 - DC

I'm glad I read these 2 issue together because I think it helped to give me a good appreciation for this character. The first issue just kind of introduced her, and skimmed over the rest. But with these issues we find out some more of the details. First of all, it turns out that the second Terra was actually a clone. But since the genetic sample of the first Terra was corrupted . . . the second one also had similar problems. Supposedly that's why things ended up the way they did. This Terra, Atlee, actually comes from an underground civilization called Strata. They're very advanced, apparently alien, and have been around since before humans became the predominant species on the planet. They've been keeping an eye on things. It appears that they know of some event that's going to happen so they've sent Terra . . a genetic duplicate of the second one, because they're from the same world . . . although I don't think in her true form she looks human . . . they've sent her to the surface world to try to help steer the events and minimize the damage to the ecosystem. "Whatever effects the surface affects us. In the past the elder believed we couldn't afford detection by the surface world. We don't want to interfere, but we can't allow the planet to suffer." Also, they want her to make contact with the Teen Titans. They want her to join the group. But I'm not sure why. Again, it goes back to them knowing something about a future event that we don't. I think it has something to do with this Richard guy though. In the first issue he found a pool of something underground and accidentally fell in it. Now he's some kind of mineral man . . he can change the composition of his body into any mineral her desires. But his girlfriend gets greedy and wants to do it to. Of course that doesn't turn out right for either of them. She becomes frozen and during a battle with one of the underground bug colonies, he form is hit and shatters. All he has left now is her diamond head. He only has a little farther to go to find Strata, so when he does he's hopping mad about what's happened to his girlfriend. Oh yeah, and Geo-Force is in Strata also. Terra tried to go to Markovia to talk to him, but he was in the middle of fighting Deadcoil. Anyways, he gets hurt and Terra has to take him down to Strata so Aurla can heal him. All in all I thought it was a pretty interesting story that Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray concocted here. I really like this underground world that they've created for this series. It's got a lot of potential, and I really think we've only just scratched the surface. Also, Amanda Conner's art . . is perfect. When I read the first issue, I wasn't sure. Her style isn't one that I usually am drawn to, but . . in this series . . I think it's perfect for the look and the feel of the book. She's the perfect architect for this underground world. I really hope this Terra does join the Teen Titans, because I think she'd be a great addition to the group.

No comments:

Post a Comment