Sunday, December 28, 2008

Simon Dark #15 - DC


Ok, it now appears that there's someone out there . . roaming around Gotham . . similar to Simon, but without the altruistic goals. Simon has a way of 'reading' people. I don't think it's like he's reading their minds. It's more like he has a window into their soul . . their true character. And, I guess, when he looks through this window he sees what the person is capable of, or what they're planning on doing. That's why he took out the guy last issue, near the school, by chopping off his head. He saw what he was planning on doing to some kids. But Tom and Rachel don't necessarily agree with his methods. Then there's this guy Gus who created Simon. He wants to talk to Simon, but since Simon isn't interested in his conversation, he records something for him. A confession, of sorts. During that, he states how he created something before Simon. "My first experiment went horribly wrong. I created a thing of flesh and organic materials from the Earth, and for a short while, it worked. I was forced to destroy me creation and vowed to abandon the experiments forever." I'm thinking . . that's the guy who's wondering around killing people. It seems that he's searching for someone, or something. Tom confronts him in the park, but when he sees the scars around Toms wrist . . he knows that he's close. The question is, close to what? Is he trying to get at the cult? Or is he trying to get at Gus? Or maybe, he's got some sibling issues with his replacement . . Simon. Anyways, I thought it was a great chapter in Simon's story. Steve Niles and Scott Hampton are still doing an excellent job with this book. After the first story-arc . . which filled the first 12 issues . . I was afraid that the character would flounder a bit. Maybe even disappear all together. But now that we've got the connection to the cult behind him, I think we can finally start some serious character development for Simon and his supporting cast. I like what's been done with this book so far, and it appears that Steve's planning on keeping him on the same dark path. The book gets more interesting every issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment