Sunday, December 14, 2008

Kingdom Come Special: the Kingdom #1 - DC


This was a great book. Thanks again to the incredible writing talents of Geoff Johns. I also thought, this issue, along with the Magog 1-shot, were fantastically drawn by Fernando Pasarin. He doesn't have a real flashy style, but . . it's nice and crisp and clean. Every panel in this book looks good. Anyways, with this issue we see more of the division that is occurring within the Society's ranks. On day 5 of Gog's mission to cleanse the Earth, he and his followers are on the border of Kahndaq. Gog declares, "The sun sets with beauty on this fifth day of service. On the sixth day . . we shall rest." Basically, they're all given a leave of absence. But with the events of the last week reeling in their heads . . they're not sure what to do with themselves. "Today, I ask all of you to chose between one of two things. You may pray and fast with me on the eve of global salvation . . or . . you may spread the word of my deeds to others." Personally, I think he's a bit conniving. Damage is the first to jump on his request. But he's gotta know that if Damage is out there spouting off about how great this guy is . . there's going to be some members of the Society that are miffed. It starts with Stargirl who then involves Atom Smasher. But it seems like this issue is filled with a bunch of cautionary tales. The 'be careful what you wish for' thing. Sandman, who recently received Gog's 'gift' feels lost without his nightmares. They were what lead him to villains. Also he discovers this issue, with his geomorph powers, that whatever Gog is doing . . it's starting to tear apart the Earth. Damage is exuberant about spreading Gog's word . . to say the least . . but what he doesn't realize is that in Gog's 'gift' he's also received vanity and pride. With the power that he holds in his hands . . those are 2 attributes that could definitely work against you. Dr. Mid-nite is definitely at a disadvantage by having his sight back. "I may not have been able to read paper or watch a film, but I could tell if a bone was broken with a glance. I caught and removed hundreds of tumors just as they began to grow. I saved lives because I was blind." Now the people that ask for his help . . want him to take them to Gog. Nate Heywood, in his indestructible form, hasn't received the 'gift', but seeing those around him who have is just making him yearn for it all the more. "I don't feel anything. I'll do whatever I have to do to feel something again. I'll do anything Gog wants to get my wish granted!" Thom Koller, Starman, is working on fulfilling the mission that he's been brought back to this time for. Unfortunately, now, he has to think about the consequences and try to justify his actions. In his cloud of insanity, he could do what he was programmed to and not have to think about it. It seems to be weighing very heavy upon him. Superman, after seeing the path of violence that Wonder Woman embraced upon his world, feels that it's necessary to warn her and ask her to be cautionary. However, after their conversation, I don't think that he's consoled by her words. But the real shocker comes from Gog himself. He's sitting in the lush habitat that he's created, just outside of Khandaq. The sun is rising and he's observing all the people that are following, and all the new initiates to their group. "It is the final day. It is time." "Time for what?", asks Hank. I'm sure it's in his 'god'-liest voice that Gog informs them, "To give thanks. All of you . . on your knees. Worship me." To say that there's a stunned silence that has fallen over the Justice League would be an understatement. As Hawkman looks up, all he can say is . . "What?" Now we have to wait for issue #21 of JSA to wrap this up. I thought this was a fantastic issue. I wasn't as thrilled about the Magog issue, but . . . this one has renewed my faith. I'm very interested to see how this story is going to wrap up, and . . . how all of these 'gifts' are going to affect their recipients.

No comments:

Post a Comment