Sunday, December 28, 2008

Booster Gold #15 - DC


Ok, I've got good news and bad news here. The good news is Dan Jurgens is back. He's back on the artistic chores . . thank god!, and now he's also doing the script. I guess he was the most obvious choice since he's been on this book from the very beginning with Geoff Johns. The bad news? Dan Jurgens is doing the scripts. Ok, back up . . I really don't mean for it to sound that way. I'm sure Dan has a feel for this book, the character, and the ultimate direction it was heading. And I'm sure he'll do his best to travel along that path. But, first of all . . . while he can write engaging, and action filled stories . . . he can't handle the character development and interaction the way that Geoff did. And, really . . you can feel that missing already. Secondly, I really had the feeling that Michael was becoming a character that we could like again. I know that the rest of the world has to think that he's this media grabbing buffoon, but . . we all knew that he was actually a hero. And a likeable guy. But it seems like Dan starts to take him in the opposite direction a bit this issue. They still haven't got this whole museum and knife thing straightened out. I promise not to go on my 'time-traveling' tirade this time. Although I could. Suffice it to say . . it's a mess. And it doesn't look like it's going to get cleared up any time soon. Anyways, he's in this museum and comes into contact with Elongated Man. I was thinking that Michael was acting like a moron to set the stage for his future meeting with Ralph, but before he even begins to talk to him . . . while he's talking to Skeets . . he makes the comment, "Lost in thought, little buddy. Pondering the possibilities. Limitless possibilities . . . . Action Figures! An entire line of Booster Gold action figures." Combine that with his 2 glaring mistakes . . going back in time to get some 'real' Italian food, while his sister poses for Da Vinci, and involving, and revealing to Ralph their time-travel mission . . . and I think he's fallen off the wagon. Which is really a shame, because he really seemed like he was becoming a likeable character to me. Hopefully this degeneration doesn't continue. I like this book. Even if the time stories give me a headache. And I really like this character. Just please, please don't go back to his stereotypical idiocy. He deserves better than that. I guess I'll just have to wait and see how he's handled next issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment