Sunday, December 14, 2008

Blue Beetle #33 - DC


My only question here is . . how did the Blue Beetle and Dr Polaris become such adversaries? It the Dr now part of Jamie's 'Rogues Gallery'? And if so, I'm really at a loss for how that happened. I know Dr Polaris is a new guy now, and I believe he's operating out of the Mexico / Texas area. But does geography now determine nemesis status? As a hero, Jamie is going to fight whatever 'bad-guy' pops up, but . . these 2 really seem to have a hard-on for each other. It just doesn't seem healthy. Anyways, this issue deals with Dr Polaris' attack on San Jose. The town is already up in arms about the immigration situation so he fuels that fire with some specific shots of hatred. He's also got Jaime's allies, and sometimes teammates . . the Teen Titans . . working on a border incursion which includes drugs, money and guns. However, while all of that is going on, he's actually attacking a research facility farther in town. Mariposa, his daughter, informs them of a facility, White Sands, that he's interested in. When Blue Beetle heads up there, he finds out that the Dr is interesting in Monopoles. "I injected myself full of them 10 minutes ago. Controlled by my existing magnetic powers, they can create a nearly invulnerable skin around me. They're super-fluid, superconductive, and they have the ability to catalyze fusion reactions as well." And with that . . he blows Blue Beetle out of the sky. "Host [Jaime] vital signs/status: deceased." First of all . . how can Jaime be dead? Secondly, why do villains feel the need to intricately explain everything before of after they've done it? Who cares? If you're going to do something, just do it! And shut the hell up! Obviously the cliff-hanger of this story is the mortality of Jaime Reyes. I'm enjoying the writing of Matthew Sturges. That is . . unless he's killed Jaime. Then I won't like him so much. Rafael Albuquerque's art is growing on me. I don't know necessarily that I like it any more, but it definitely has created a style for this book. Overall, I'm enjoying this book more and more. However, I am wondering what the status of this book is after issue #36. Go to DC Comics previews and you'll see what I mean.

2 comments:

  1. Love the reviews, always check in to see how best to spread my 2 comics a month budget. In response to your concerncs about Jaime, here is the very sad news.

    http://www.newsarama.com/comics/110812-Didio2.html
    Dan Didio:One of the books that I’m most disappointed about in that regard is a book like Blue Beetle, which we are cancelling. That’s a book that we started with very high expectations, but it lost its audience along the way. Recently, we felt that it was standing on firmer ground, and was getting a more positive response. The problem is that the firmer ground and positive response is not enough to keep the book afloat. So unfortunately, we had to cancel that series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So . . I guess it's official then. It looks like #36 will be the final issue in the series. That must be part of the reason that he's so integrated into the Teen Titans now.

    ReplyDelete