Tuesday, December 09, 2008

the Spirit #23 - DC


Ok, I have the same complaints about this series that I've had from the beginning . . the stories are boring, predictable, and rely too much upon nostalgia to try to keep it alive. Which to me is really sad because I have nothing but respect for Sergio Aragones and Mark Evanier's talent. They've both done so much for this industry. I just don't think trying to keep this title alive is one of their more shining moments. That being said, we get a new artist this issue, Aluir Amancio, and I actually think his art could do a lot for the longevity of this book. It's bright and fresh and . . a few issues ago I talked about how some sexual innuendo could go a long way in making these stories more interesting . . well, there's not much more in this issue, however . . there is a bit that's implied through the art. It was enough that it kept me interested in a rather boring story. I mean, why not? The Spirit is an attractive and adventurous kind of guy. There's always women throwing themselves at him. Also Ellen is a very attractive woman. Why isn't there more sexual tension between these characters. I know the Spirit doesn't want to upset her father, the Commissioner, but . . he's not always around. There could be a lot more playfulness, and flirting, between them And seeing how the Spirit doesn't seem to have a specific love interest . . what's wrong with Ellen? I don't know, maybe I'm looking at the series the wrong way. I just think it needs something to spice it up a bit. Speaking of which, the Spirit movie is coming out this Christmas. I wouldn't think that it's story would be as contrived as those in these books, but . . I'll guess we'll just have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment