Monday, December 29, 2008

Gen13 #25 - WildStorm


You know . . on one hand, I really hate what they're doing with this book. I don't really like the art, and the story is just all over the place. However, on the other hand . . . with the end of the world taking place here . . and our kids just trying to survive and find their place in the new environment . . much like StormWatch, the Authority, or WildCATS . . I guess it's nice to have a bit of an upbeat comic that isn't as sombre and depressing as the other ones. I mean, those teams are made up of heroes. So, I would expect their stories to be more in line with the super-hero genre. But, these kids? They aren't heroes. They're just some kids that we're made up from Playdough, and given powers. They've come to rely and trust each other, because . . well, there's really no one else out there like them. Well, I guess I should say, there may be some more of I/O's projects running around out there, but if so . . . they haven't come across them yet. So, really . . they're just trying to make it through the day like the rest of us. Well, a day in the Teenage Wasteland . . I guess. There are some funny moments in this though. Roxy is about to get attacked by a boy she tried to borrow a cigarette off of. "The dating scene's been harsh since the world ended. But when you get that itch you just gotta scratch it." Then he gets the 'no means no' speech as she sends him flying through the sky-light into the storm outside. Meanwhile Grunge, who's trying to cheer Roxy up by turning himself into a giant piece of candy, has attracted something else entirely . . . some giant mutant rodents. I guess they just can't resist a big piece of human shaped candy. He works his way through all of it too . . . Tartie-Sweetz, Taffy, Gummi Yummis, jaw-breakers and who knows what else. The rest of the team are in the mall talking to some of the other refugees when they all start to change . . as did the guy who tried to attack Roxy. It appears that they've all been infected by the Warhol-virus. Not that the kids know what that is. But while fighting them, I think that Caitlin may have been infected. But anyways, now they're on a mission. They've decided that they're heading for Tranquility. But it's on the other side of the country, so they'll be making some stops along the way. Scott Beatty does the story. I liked it. I guess I'd just like to see something a little less . . frantic. But . . it's ok. But I'm still not thrilled about Mike Huddleston's art. It just doesn't really do it for me. Again, it's ok. I just feel like I could be enjoying the book a whole lot more.

No comments:

Post a Comment