Thursday, December 25, 2008

Wolverine: Manifest Destiny #2 - Marvel


I also enjoyed this book. Again . . there's a serious proliferation of Wolverine books out there right now. Especially with all these mini-series and one-shots coming out. I'm going to say, right now, that I'm not going to be buying all of them. I just can't. I love this character, but . . it's a serious drain on my weekly expenses. The same goes for all of the X-Men minis. I'm going to get the ones that appeal to my eye, or I think might have a significant effect on the X-Men family, or community, but . . there's a lot of stuff out there right now. I like the Marvel Origins, or the 'year 1' type stories, but . . the rest is just that . . stories. Some are important . . some not. So I'm going to stick with the main titles, and I'll give the minis a look when I think they deserve one. Sorry! I know that sounds a bit pessimistic, but . . I have to be realistic too. Anyways, my only real complaint about this book is that it seems that it could've been a Wolverine Origins story. We're going back about 50 years into Logan's past and seeing how he changed Lin's life . . I'm sorry, Black Dragon . . and perspective. But everything that happens here, and in the past, seems to be leading up to his reintroduction to Master Po. That is of course after Master Po rescues him off the street after he's been beaten down like an animal. Now he has to give himself up to Master Po, and submit to his training. Otherwise he's going to have no hope of beating the Black Dragon or her minions . . . Rock of the Buddha, Fist of Fire, Storm Sword and Soulstriker. By the way, this was a great introduction to an interesting cast of characters. I kind of feel like they could maybe replace the Ravagers. But maybe I'm getting ahead of myself. I think Jason Aaron is doing a good job with this story-line. I like the way it's unfolding and this past history that we're getting about Logan. However, I'd have to say that the real star of this book is Stephen Segovia. His artwork is looking fantastic. I'm not sure what he's doing different . . lines, inking, coloring . . but whatever it is, it comes off great in the finished product. Of course I think the theme and setting for this book helps a lot also. I still feel that it could've been in the Origins book, but . . I'm enjoying it nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment