Friday, December 26, 2008

Nyx: No Way Home #4 - Marvel


I like this book. It's interesting. But . . it's all just kind of vanilla to me. By that, I guess, I mean that it's an interesting story, but . . there's really not a whole lot of excitement going on. At the end of the book, there's a twist that looks like it's going to make things a lot more interesting, but . . it'll still be kind of vanilla to me. Kiden, the lead character is really a gung-ho type of person. She definitely takes control of this little group of misfits. She's trying to keep them out of trouble, and under the radar, but . . things just keep happening. Recently Tatiana was shot and now she's in the hospital. Also Bobby, in his attempt to help things by possessing the gangster that was threatening them all, is now without his memories. However, as they attempt to rescue Tatiana, he does seem to remember a doctor who worked at the shelters. He remembers hearing rumors that she also helped people out on the sly out of her apartment. It turns out that it's Cecilia, Cecilia Reyes. You remember. Wasn't she Hanks love interest at one time? I remember that they wanted her to join the X-Men, but she opted to stay out with the 'real' people and help out with her medical abilities. She's a mutant, but it's more of a defensive power than anything else. Anyways, now they're under her care. I think the X-Men are going to get involved because she goes out and calls him to ask for a favor. Now, the part that may prove to be a little more interesting. Throughout this book, there's a woman following Kiden. It appears that she can see her even when she's using her mutant powers to stop time. So that would suggest that she's also a mutant. She confronts her later on in the book and their exchange is kind of interesting. First Kiden tries to use her power on her, but . . it doesn't work. "You'll have to do a lot better than that. You have a lot to learn. It's my job to teach you. But I'm much harder to kill than that other man. When you're ready to learn . . when you're ready to get out of this mess . . look for me." She gives her a business card that says Empire State University. We don't find out who it is she's working for though. She's goes back to the place where they're holding Palmer, and someone is talking to them over the speaker-phone. What's interesting is that Kiden's father is there also. He's shot, and dead, but . . he appears to be a zombie or maybe possessed by someone. I think that Marjorie Liu is doing a decent job with this story. But, to me . . it just seems more like an episode of a soap-opera . . with a few people with extraordinary abilities involved. Like I said it's just not that exciting. But, it is interesting. Personally, I think part of the problem is Kalman Andrasofszky's art. To me, it really doesn't do the story justice. Although, it is in the same style as that of the first series. So, I'm guessing, that's why the choice was made. It's not terrible art. It just really doesn't do anything for me. Like I said in the beginning of this series, I really only picked this up because I did enjoy the last series. So I thought I'd give it a chance. It was ok. I just don't think it's worth the $25 I'll have spent by the time I buy all 6 issues. Sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment