Tuesday, December 09, 2008

the Amazing Spider-man #578 - Marvel


This was an interesting story. It was . . ok. Nothing special. But . . nothing to get upset about either. To me, this seemed like a fill-in story. This appeared to be a story that was sitting on the shelf, and really could fit in anywhere because there's nothing specific in it to tie it in with any certain time-period during the web-head's existence. So, say if somebody was running behind . . they could slip this story in and nobody would be able to tell the difference. I don't think that's what happened, but . . . that's how it felt. Mark Waid wrote it, but . . like I said . . nothing special. I did, kind of, like Marcos Martin's pencils. To me, there were some panels that were incredible . . like on the second and third page when Spidey's sitting on the roof in the rain. But then there were some other panels that just seemed kind of . . rushed. The story is pretty simple. Spidey gets on the train and half-way through the trip there's an explosion. It turns out, in the next car, is the jury from the Giacomo trial . . some mobster. Apparently someone wants them taken out so there can be a mistrial. Anyways, the tunnel collapses around the train and Spidey has to try to save everybody, and maybe get them out of this situation. The problem is . . they're also under the river. And then, the Shocker comes down to make sure the job is finished. Obviously there's a way out because the Shocker came down an access ladder. But during their fight, they collapse that also. Now it really seems like there's no way out. With the knowledge of their impending doom, an old man starts talking to Spider-man. "I don't want to go to my grave not apologizing to you, Spider-man . . . For my son. I suppose I should introduce myself. My name is J Jonah Jameson . . . Senior." That was an interesting twist. But, I don't really know what the signifigance of it was. Anyways, for a Spidey story, it was ok. However, there's no supporting cast present, and . . there's nothing here to tie this in with any other story-line running through this title. But . . it was ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment