Tuesday, December 09, 2008

The X Files #1 - WildStorm

I'm not sure what to expect from this book. I haven't even seen the second movie yet. I heard such bad things about it, I figured I'd just wait until it came out on DVD and watch it then. But, when the series was on TV . . . I was a huge fan. I watched every episode, and got the entire series on DVD. Since I have an entire box filled with the Topps version of these characters, I figured I at least owed it to myself to give this incarnation a chance. Here's the problem though . . . when this series came out, it was cutting edge. The story subjects and style pushed the envelope every episode. They kept pushing it right up until the very end. It's what made the show such a cult hit. However, it is almost 20 years old. In that time there have been a lot of other shows that continue to push the envelope. Some of them are on TV right now . . the CSI shows, Smallville, Reaper, Criminal Minds, Fringe, Eleventh Hour, etc.. So while this book fits right in with the TV series, and the comics, it still seems . . dated. Don't get me wrong, it was a decent story. Like I said, Frank Spotnitz did a great job giving the book the same feel of the series. I also enjoyed Brian Denham's art. Heck, on the opening page when it's going though the panels with the credits you can almost hear the theme song playing in the background. But I think this book will probably have a different feel for a reader who followed the show . . and one that didn't. Which is sad because I'd really like this book to do well. Unfortunately, like the show, it'll probably just have a cult following. Which translates to medium to low sales. Which equals comic book death. Sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment