Saturday, December 27, 2008

Detective Comics #851 - DC

This was a great issue of Detective. But then . . Denny O'Neil always did write a fantastic Batman story. Guillem March does the interior art, as well as the cover at the right. I thought his work was ok. Nothing spectacular, but it was pretty decent. The other cover though is by Tony S Daniel. I much prefer that one. Which is why I guess I was willing to pay $10 for it. I'll tell you what . . DC is really pushing these alternate covers. I usually don't mind to much paying for the $10 ones, but . . the covers that come out for Batman are $25. And they've been coming out every issue since this RIP story-line. Also it kills me when they have 3 or 4 $10 covers out in the same week. Are they trying to break me, or what? I know. "Just say NO!" I try. I really do. Anyways, we get a new character introduced to us this issue. Her name is Millicent Mayne, and she's the face of Gotham . . literally. She was an actress . . before all of the earthquakes. But living through that . . seemed to awaken something in her. She became one with the city, and all the souls that inhabited it. But as time passed, that feeling started to fade. But she kept up her duty to the city through charities and fund-raisers. However, one of the members of Two-faces gang doesn't like how she represents herself. So when he goes to her most recent fund-raiser to rob it, he confronts her and throws acid in her face. Now she looks like a female Two-face. But, while in excruciating pain, she's also relieved because the incident has seemed to reconnect her with the city. She's one with it again, and now she feels whole. Nightwing has also recently returned to the city to fill in a bit for the Batman's absence. I'm thinking he's not going to be back long before his path crosses with Millicent's. This issue ends with him going after Two-face, but instead is lying unconscious in one of his warehouses while his gang is burning it to the ground. Apparently the next couple of months are going to be spent with some 2 part stories that run between Batman and Detective. This is the first of those. I assume we'll be doing that until we find out where the Batman is. This arc is called Last Rights. The next is . . "Whatever happened to the Caped Crusader?". I guess I shouldn't feel to bad. I checked on Mile High Comics and they're still asking a pretty hefty price for all the variant covers during RIP. Of course, I don't know if they'll stay there, but . . . they're looking good right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment