Tuesday, December 09, 2008

X-Factor #37 - Marvel


I really like this book . . and this team. Thankfully we got another artist this issue. I have nothing against Larry Stroman. I just didn't particularly like his stuff on this title. I don't know . . it just didn't feel right. But that's moot now because we have a new artist this issue, Valentine De Landro. Valentine's not necessarily a great artist, although his stuff this issue does look ok. But, he definitely gives the book a better feel than Larry did. Sorry! It's just the way I feel. Of course we'll probably have another artist in a couple of months. That's been the norm on this title since it's inception. I've lost track of how many different artists we've had on this book over the course of it's run. However, Peter David has been there since day 1! He's been our rock. Thanks, Peter! I thought this was an interesting issue. Most of our team have gone off in rescue of Darwin. That's how they ended up in the warehouse as it exploded at the end of the last issue. This issue we find out how they survived that event. I'll give you a hint . . . Longshot is still extremely lucky. Anyways, by the end of this issue they find him, but . . . the guy who's taken him has apparently built, or grown, an army of them. "You want Darwin? Take your pick." The best part of this particular issue though is when Val Cooper calls on our little detective agency and has a talk with Theresa. Theresa actually refers to herself as a weapon of mass destruction. To back up a little, Val comes in kind of strong and immediately puts Rictor in handcuffs. Theresa, sitting calmly in her chair because she can barely stand up . . she's so big . . ask Val to have them removed. Of course Val refuses. "Ever seen the effects of high-powered sonics close up? Properly aimed they can liquefy the human brain within seconds. And my aim is pretty good." Val claims that Theresa is bluffing. "Oh really? My vocal cords are lethal. My estrogen level is berserk. Between Braston-Hicks and my huge belly, I haven't slept in weeks. And I gotta pee . . . again. Free advice, Ms Cooper; never bet your life on what you think you know about a hormonal, sleep-deprived WMD with a full bladder." I thought that interaction was hilarious. I really enjoy the humor that Peter puts into his stories. Everything doesn't need to be so serious all of the time. And even if it is? . . there's always something to laugh about. Even if it's just some kind of wry, ironic humor. That's why this is one of my favorite X-books. Thanks again, Peter.

No comments:

Post a Comment