Sunday, December 14, 2008

Batman - Gotham After Midnight #7 - DC


Right now the best way to explain how I feel about this book is . . . I guess, a jigsaw puzzle. I feel like I've opened a box of pieces, and apparently it's a very large puzzle, but there's no picture on the box. So basically, I'm looking at all of these pieces strewn across the table and I have no idea the picture that they're supposed to create. From reading this book, I know that there's several things in the occurrence of events that are important to the overall tale and it's resolution. However, since there appears to be no connection . . other than that all of the victims are wealthy and seem to have abused their power . . we don't know how or why Midnight is assembling his list. And why does he have to tear these people's hearts out? Last issue the Joker told Batman that Midnight was a police detective, Barry Lucas. But then, by the end of the issue, it appeared that he had been abducted by Killer Croc. Now Batman is trying to find him. He connects the trace evidence around the abduction to a factory on the West side of Gotham. As he enters it from underneath . . from the Gotham River . . he finds the Detective, dead. He also finds and fights Killer Croc. But the biggest piece revealed to him is that this cavern appears to be Midnight's lair. It puzzles him. First of all, why is it under this factory? Secondly, "It looks like a villain lair out of a bad movie. None of the equipment except for the lights seem to work. It's all flash, for show." Also, Batman notes that there appears to be a controlled randomness to the villains actions. Meanwhile, Midnight is topside murdering the Mayor. I like the story. I enjoy the subtle nuances that Steve Niles puts into his scripts. I just wish I had a little better idea of what's going on. Kelley Jones is the perfect artist for this series. Horror stories are definitely his genre. The pages of this book look fantastic. The thing that I like about Jones is that he has a Wrightson-esque feel to him. That's definitely a plus. Overall, I'm enjoying the series. I'm just a little confused.

No comments:

Post a Comment