Monday, December 15, 2008

Legion of Super-heroes #48 - DC


First of all, #50 is the final issue of this series. However, from the description of the story, it looks like we'll probably be going into a mini, or maxi, series after that. I think it'll have something to do with the Universal Annihilation War. I'm also thinking that with this Final Crisis: Legion of 3 Worlds mini, that we're going to have a revamping, or maybe I should say consolidating of the various Legions that we've seen in the last 20 years. I'm guessing that after the Final Crisis arc, and the mini-series, from there we'll probably go into a relaunch of this series . . or I should say, of the Legion. If I had to guess, I'd be willing to bet that we'll see the Legion before they came back in time and recruited Superboy. I don't know why, I just think that we're going to see the Legion before Superboy, or Superman's, influence. Anyways, this story is mostly about the invader planet that recently come into their solar system. Brainiac finds a connection between it and the Destroyers. Basically, the invader planet sends some representatives to Earth. They are using miniaturized versions of the data-rippers that the Destroyers had. With that he's able to make the connection, and jump to the conclusion that the actual enemy is in virtual space. Everything else . . the invader planet, the representatives, the Destroyers . . are all simulacrums, or duplicates. Basically, they are in virtual space playing a game, or fighting a war, in real space. Kind of like us when we play a video game. Now Brainiac just has to figure out what to do about it. Meanwhile, Sun-boy is back. And after a tryout, Gazelle is on the team . . she's the girl that they ran into on Triton. The other cadets . . Turtle, Sizzle and Night Girl . . are not accepted into the Legion, but are used to start a new group, the Legion Reserves. That way they'll still get training, flight rings, and uniforms. I love this series. Actually, what I should say is I love the Legion. They were the first real 'group' book that I got into. I was reading the Legion before the Justice League or the X-Men. To me it's like a big soap opera, but with super-powered characters. I think Jim Shooter is doing an incredible job here. Wherever these characters go from here . . mini, maxi, or continuing series . . I really hope that Jim is involved with the process. I also really like the feel that Francis Manapul has brought to this series. I wasn't sure at first. He's different than any other Legion artist. But, he's really grown on me. I think he's really made these characters his own. I know #50 is the end of this series, but it's definitely not the end of the Legion. I can't wait to see where we go from here. Long Live the Legion!

No comments:

Post a Comment