Saturday, December 27, 2008

Superman / Batman #54 - DC


I'm going to start with the art again on this issue. Personally, I love Rags Morales' style. I think he draws some fantastic stuff. For some reason though, this guy is seriously underrated. He's been in the business for quite a while now, and you can tell because he has perfect page flow. His panels, and pages, flow seamlessly from one to another. Really, I just can't praise this guy enough. I really hope he gets the recognition he deserves. Anyways, on to the story. Last issue Batman obtained Superman's powers when Superman was hit by a blast from the Silver Banshee. She was after a brooch . . which we find out this issue was from Cawdor castle in Scotland, it's the same place where Macbeth took place . . . but when Superman tried to stop her, she his him with one of her patented howls. So this issue, Superman is trying to teach him how to control those powers. He's being overwhelmed with power, but if he can't control it he could do more damage than good. But, I think he's also being corrupted by that power. When he goes out on patrol, he tells Robin to stay behind. "You'll only slow me down. I'm not stopping tonight. I'm starting at the river and covering every inch of this city. You can't keep up. Every other night we leave some rock unturned, some crime unpunished. Gotham's just too big. But tonight I'm cleaning up the city once and for all." However, while he's pushing himself to the limits and taking his obsession to a new level . . he flies to Santa Prisca to take out Bane . . he forgets to keep an eye on his now powerless best friend. Lois and Clark are on a date and on the way home they here a scream come from down an alley. Of course Clark rushes in to try to help whoever's being hurt, but in the process he takes a bullet to the chest. The issue ends with Batman up in the atmosphere surveying the world, and Clark lying shot in an alley with Lois crying over him. Apparently Michael Green and Mike Johnson are going to be the regular scripters on this book now. I'm thinking they've done the last 8 or 10 issues. I think they're doing a pretty decent job so far. In this story I think they're doing a good job of chronicling Bruce's transformation. You know what they say . . absolute power corrupts, absolutely! I think Batman's on his way there.

No comments:

Post a Comment