Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Ultimate Spider-man #128 - Marvel


I absolutely love this book. I have since the first day that it came out. This continues to be one of my favorite titles each and every month. I know I haven't really been singing the praises of Brian Bendis lately, but . . on this title . . he's continued to out-do himself each and every issue. Personally, I think this series is a masterpiece. I love seeing Peter Parker's character as a teenager. I love the way that he thinks about problems, and deals with things, during this period of his life. And, I think that Aunt May is dealing pretty well with knowing his secret. I'm sure she worries, but . . I also think she's keeping a pretty level head. This issue dealt mostly with Venom and Gwen Stacey. She's actually Carnage, but . . she/he/it seems to enjoy the Gwen Stacey form. So that's how it spends most of it's time. The creepiest scene in the book is when she's sitting on Peter's attic floor, waiting for him. From head to toe . . she looks like Gwen. But then her hair falls back and . . . she's got the face of Carnage. But then shortly after . . . Eddie Brock comes knocking on Peter's door. Peter comes out to fight him . . thinking that he's here to bring more grief to his life, but actually . . . he's here for Gwen. Eddie's been missing something ever since the symbiote chose Peter over him. But, there's something inside of Gwen that awakens what's inside of Eddie. And it leaves Gwen changed. Later when they all go back to the Triskelion to examine her, Tony explains to Peter and May, "She's clean. She's on every level a regular 16 year old girl. The symbiote originally killed her, it destroyed her host form . . in doing so we would surmise it absorbed her essence. Her DNA, her genetic code sequences. It then, in turn, abandoned those essences and codes for another. Leaving the body. And . . . she's clean. She's, well, she's a molecular copy. But an exact one. There's no difference. On any definable genetic level. So the question is . . if she is biologically Gwen Stacy, and mentally Gwen Stacy . . . who are we to say she's not Gwen Stacy? She's healthier than me." Peter's happy for Gwen, but he's still worried that Eddie is out there somewhere. He is, but . . I don't think he's going to be causing anyone any problems anytime soon. Back on the park-bench, he starts talking to some guy that comes up . . as he's been doing for the previous 2 issues. However, shortly before he can change and eat him . . the guy absorbs him with the armor that hidden under his clothes. Apparently this guy is an agent of Latveria. Who knows where that's going to lead to. Also, as much as I enjoy Brian's stories here . . I am equally as impressed by the tremendous artwork of Stuart Immonen. All around . . this book has a great feel to it. My only complaint? In comparison . . this book makes the Amazing title look pretty inadequate. Sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment