Friday, December 26, 2008

Cable #9 - Marvel


I like this book. Cable is one of my favorite characters, and I think Duane Swierczynski is doing a great job with his portrayal. However . . we're in the realm of this whole time-paradox thing again. To me, these themes tend to be more of a headache than they're worth. Ok, here's the way the plan is explained. First of all, Nathan is hiding in New Liberty. It's an urban legend. Even in the future . . the far future . . they talk about it like it's a myth. Nobody actually saw it, and nobody knew where it was. It's protected behind an impenetrable force field. But Nathan found his way in. Luckily Bishop doesn't know where he's at, but even if he did . . he wouldn't know where to find New Liberty anyways. So his plan was to go back to our time, steal some WMD's and go and destroy the future. He figured if Nathan had no place to jump to, it would be easier to narrow his chance for escape. Now, the problem I have is . . which future did he destroy. I mean . . aren't all futures just possibilities? So the one's he destroyed might not necessarily be the one's that Nathan would jump to? And how exactly is he justifying these actions? Is he thinking that since it's the future, and he's in the past, that he's actually not killing these people because they haven't been born yet? And if they haven't been born yet, who's to say that the future couldn't just roll out the same? Even if it was different, it would still be there. Right? Anyways, this is the thing about these time-travel stories that really give me a headache. There's 2 saving graces to this book. First is Nathan's character. He's a great character to watch and read about. And he always has an adventure to follow. Secondly is Ariel Olivetti's incredible art. He has been doing a fantastic job with this book and he continues to amaze me every issue. Don't get me wrong. I enjoy this book, and I've liked the stories so far. It's just that all of this time-travel stuff . . with all of it's various possibilities . . drive me crazy. The stories themselves are fun, but there's just to many variables and options available for it to be even remotely realistic. I know that's a jaded view, but . . that's how these stories leave me feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment