Thursday, November 27, 2008

the War that Time Forgot #6 - DC


I have to say, again . . . for some reason Al Barrionuevo is just not performing . . sorry, utilizing his talents . . as well as I've seem from him in previous series. This guys a heck of an artist. But, for some reason, on this series his work only seems . . adequate. And it really pails in comparison to Michael Wm. Kaluta's cover. That's a piece of art. Anyways, the other complaint I have about this series is the pace of the story. In a nutshell, that's what really bothers me about these 12 issue maxi-series. There's an awful lot of story here that could be paced a bit faster. Personally, I don't see any reason that this series couldn't have been fit into 6 or even 8 issues. This issue brings all of the different factions together, as well as some visuals of the future race, or aliens, that are watching the proceedings here. But there's really not a reason that couldn't have been fit into the previous issue. Again, I don't want to put the blame onto Bruce Jones' shoulders, but . . he is the writer. Unless of course it was an editorial edict that this series needed to be 12 issues. Because I've got news for ya' . . anyone can fill up 12 issues, but . . there's an awful lot of minutia. I'm sorry. I'm not trying to be all negative. But, if the price of all of these books are going up to $3.99, I'm going to have to be a lot pickier about where I spend my hard earned money. Which means, in order to spend the same amount of money weekly . . I'm going to have to get less books. And that means that I'm not going to be able to pick up as much stuff on a whim. Which in turn means that when I do pick up something I wouldn't normally, I would like it to be with the best possible talent and the best use of the space allotted for the story. I'm sorry. Overall, I thought this book was ok. The story did progress . . although, minimally. However, I will say, if this series had started out at $3.99 an issue . . I wouldn't have bought it.

No comments:

Post a Comment