Sunday, November 02, 2008

Avengers / Invaders #5 - Marvel / Dynamite Entertainment


I have to admit it . . this is another one of those series that I just kind of picked up on a whim. I know! I'm still trying to watch my budget . . is that really a word, or did someone just make it up? Anyways, I do try to watch what I spend week to week, but . . I also like to get something new every now and again. You know . . . to expand my reading horizon. I've been getting in to the Avengers more and more over the last couple of years, and when I saw this team-up . . and the participation of Alex Ross and Jim Krueger . . . what was I supposed to do? I had to give it a shot. Really, my only preconception was that it would probably be a team-up or they would be fighting each other throughout the whole series. Which, honestly, isn't to far off of the mark . . so far. But, at the same time there's some interesting stories developing in the background. First of all, I want to say that I'm impressed with Steve Sadowski's pencils. I've seen his work before, but . . I could take it or leave it. On this series, though . . it seems like he's putting in a lot more effort. Also, this series has had some great covers. This issue's main cover is by Alex with a variant by Mike Deodato Jr. I'm glad Mike's getting back out there again. I hadn't seen much of his work lately, and now . . now he seems to be all over the place. He's an artist that I can never get to much of. But back to the story. Basically the Invaders are in Germany, during WWII, and they come across a green mist. When they come out the other side, they find they've been transported some 70 years into the future. They immediately come into contest with the Avengers . . both teams. The Mighty Avengers are trying to contain them . . for their own good . . and to return them back to their original time. The New Avengers are trying to rescue them from the Mighty Avengers and SHIELD. Basically, they're both trying to accomplish the same thing but for different reasons. Tony Stark wants to return them because of the scientific implications, Doctor Strange's reason are because of the mystical boundaries and the flow of time. I think it's ironic how they both want the same thing but they find themselves at odds because of the Registration Act. And the Invaders, whom they're both trying to help, see the whole she-bang as another ploy by the Nazi boot-steppers. I think that somewhere in that theme something is going to be resolved within this series. I'm not entirely sure of the whole implications and after-effects . . . but that's why we have 12 issues to sort it all out. The other interesting part is that the Human Torch finds himself empathetic for the SHIELD LMD's. He was created by a Jewish scientist to fight during WWII. He feels that it was the scientist's way of exacting revenge for what was done to his people by the German's. When Torch sees the LMD's, he sees the same type of oppression and disregard for their existence. Yes they aren't truly alive . . from our point of reference, but just because it's a new life form . . doesn't mean that their right to exist is any less credible than ours. At the end of this issue he comes back to the helicarrier, alone, to lead the revolution. I guess once a symbol against oppression and tyranny . . always a symbol. I really like this series. I'm not sure how it's all going to wash out, but I enjoy the themes that are being developed. I think it's another one of those books that becoming an instant classic. I'm a little confused about why Dynamite is the publisher for this . . . these are all Marvel creations, but . . I guess that's not for me to sort out. I'm just glad it's on the stands.

No comments:

Post a Comment