Sunday, November 16, 2008

Teen Titans #64 - DC


First of all, what an awesome cover by Eddy Barrows. It looks fantastic. He didn't however do the interior work. That was done by . . I'd have to assume he's a newcomer . . Fernando Dagnino. But, even though he's new, I thought he did a more than adequate job. His characters and faces look great. He doesn't have the full package yet though. He doesn't do a whole lot with his backgrounds. He does show a lot of promise though, so . . I think he'll just continue to get better. Anyways, I thought this book had some things that I liked, and some things . . . not so much. I liked that Zeus brought Cassie up to Olympus to explain to her what was going on with her powers. It all has to do with Ares. By giving in to him, every time she got angry her powers were amped up. But, she was also losing her connection with Zeus because of that arrangement. Ares had planned on her giving over to him completely, but . . he underestimated her resolve. So, while they still have a connection, he started working on developing another agent . . Lycus, one time king of Libya. Ares' son. "Lycus has been granted his own hellhound, as well as a second life. So long as he takes from you the power granted by Ares. Every time Lycus murders someone in his father's name while you are near, he grows stronger. Soon he will be powerful enough to end your life, Cassandra, and claim his place as the new champion of Ares." Which explains what happened to Wendy and Marvin in the tower. After the consult, Zeus sends her back to the boarding house in Georgetown. The problem is . . Lycus, and his hellhound, have followed her there . . and now, are hunting her. I'm glad this has all been explained. Now . . for the part I didn't like. Bombshell is trying to figure out how her dad fits into everything that's happened to her. He's the General in charge of the project that actually created her. So she's more than a little peeved. Anyways, the Titans track her to the facility where she's confronting her dad and they just start going at it full-blown. Robin, Red Devil and Blue Beetle actually show some good team-work in trying to subdue her. Props for that. But, then her father jumps in . . trying to protect her . . and starts explaining everything that's been happening to her to Robin. Robin feels sorry for her and asks her to stay with them at the Tower. Hello? Wasn't she just trying to take your head off about 30 seconds ago? And now your just going to let her in . . because he father says that he thinks it's a good idea? Isn't he the one that made her, and turned her into this in the first place? And then . . he kept it from her. It appears that there's a couple of themes that recur throughout this title. First all of the characters are side-kicks, or second-generation, of other characters. Secondly, they all appear to have really f#$%ed up father-roles. I guess that's a prerequisite for joining this club. Who knew? I really want to put this faux pas aside and enjoy the story. But, it's really a huge leap in logic. And, it expects the readers to accept an awful lot of . . . good will. To much, if you ask me. However, I do love these characters, and this book so . . . I guess we'll move on and see where this new development leads to. I guess without Ravager, they needed a new female figure around to fight with all of the time. I thought Sean McKeever was doing a pretty decent job with this book . . up until this point. I'll be interested to see how he pulls his butt out of the fire with this one. Personally, I don't see how it can work.

1 comment:

  1. Boy, this is kind of scary, I basically felt the exact same way you did about this comic! I really enjoyed the Ares-Cassie-Zeus stuff, but the stuff with Bombshell was just annoying on so many levels.

    I would MUCH rather have Ravager on the team as opposed to Bombshell, but oh well I guess. Hopefully, after the Terror Titans mini-series ends Ravager will return and Bombshell can leave.

    ReplyDelete