Saturday, November 29, 2008

Weapon X: First Class - #1 - Marvel


Well with all of these X-Men mini-series that are coming out right now . . my total number of X-related titles has just surpassed my total number of Bat-related titles. That's the first time in 3 years that's happened. It's been pretty close for a couple of months now, but usually Batman edges out. Not anymore though. Between Bat-titles and X-titles, it makes up about a quarter of what I read. That's a lot of books. Anyways, we have a new X-mini-series now . . Weapon X - First Class. I guess they're taking the theme on the road. With the Weapon X theme in this book, they cover both the angles. There's a Wolverine story in the front, and a Sabretooth story in the back. The creative credits go to Marc Sumerak and Mark Robinson with Wolverine, and Marc and Tim Seeley on the Sabretooth story. In the first chapter, basically, it's retelling the story of when Wolverine had first joined the X-men, and he used to have regular sessions with Charles as he was trying to help him piece together his fragmented memories. This issue is basically just them getting into his head and starting to poke around. The story was decent, although there wasn't anything really new here. If you're an X-Men fan, you've pretty much know this story verbatim. I thought Mark's art was a little cheesy. Again I'm reminded of Marvel Comics Presents. I think because when they were trying so hard to keep a Wolverine story in every issue, it got to the point where anyone and everyone was contributing something. Almost to the point where it just seemed like the character was being diluted down. That's the best way I can describe it. Like I said, the story was ok, but I definitely don't think it was worth $4. The Sabretooth story was an encounter that Charles made Creed forget. At one time, I think before Logan actually joined the team, Charles confronted Creed to ask him to join him. Needless to say he wasn't graciously accepted, and before he left Charles made Creed forget it ever happened. The art in this one was much better than the first story. My only question is, why couldn't this story just have been done in the Wolverine - First Class book? Did we really need a special mini-series for it. And I'm going to have to start watching my books better, because apparently Marvel is starting out the $3.99 price point with it's special issues and mini-series. So I may be passing on some of the ones coming up soon. There is more pages here . . 21 on the first story, and 10 on the second. But, I'd rather have 18 pages of good stuff for $2.99 than more pages of mediocre crap for a buck more. "The times they are a changin'."

No comments:

Post a Comment