Saturday, November 29, 2008

Vixen: Return of the Lion #2 - DC


I thought this was a great story. Now that I've read the story in Justice League, about how Anasi was playing with Mari's powers, but have now given them back to her . . I'm not as confused as when I read the first issue. I just should've read Justice League first. Who knew? Anyways, the writer of this story . . G Willow Wilson, I don't recognize the name . . he's doing a great job with this character. He's taken her back to her home so that she can reconnect with her powers, and the Earth. But there's a man there who's trying to usurp the power of the land and make it his own, Kwesi. This is Mari's journey to reconnect with her Totem. She has to learn not to rely as much upon her powers, or her team-mates and instead be one with the land, and the animals, to utilize her real strength. I think that G Willow Wilson is going to do a good job guiding her along that journey. Also there's a new artist here, Cafu. And his work is equally as brilliant. He's not a really flashy type artist . . not an Adam Hughes or Greg Land. But, his stuff is real crisp and clean. And the flow of his panels is terrific. I think that Mari is a vastly underutilized character, so I'm glad to see that we're looking into her origins a bit, and trying to get her back on track so she'll be a better participant in the League. She's got a lot of potential. It's just . . nobody has really taken her there yet. Hopefully, with this series, some of that will be realized.

No comments:

Post a Comment