Thursday, November 27, 2008

Ultimate Spider-man Annual #3 - Marvel


I thought this was a fantastic annual. But since Brian Bendis wrote it, it's pretty much going to be the same as the series. And, in fact, it was. Which is a good thing. I wasn't however as thrilled with David Lafuente's artwork. At first I didn't like it at all. But then, in the middle, he did some pages that were set up much in the same way as Stuart Immonen has been doing them . . in the regular title . . and those worked much better for me. So overall, I'd have to say that I had mixed feelings about the book. But since it is Spider-man . . and the Ultimate Universe . . I'd have to say that the good out-favors the bad. A couple of things stood out for me in this issue. First, and most importantly, was the advances and progress that Peter and MJ are making in their relationship. This issue they had the "I want to do it, but . . I think we should wait." conversation. And it was handled perfectly. I'm glad that they haven't decided to take MJ out of the picture in this book, since they've all but negated her over in Amazing Spider-man. I think she's a huge part of what makes this book so great. Secondly, this issue we're introduced to the Ultimate Universe's version of Mysterio. Which, ultimately . . pun intended . . is what this whole issue was really about. He doesn't really call himself Mysterio. He doesn't actually call himself anything . . yet. That's actually a name that the police gave him. But as with the original, he commits his crimes through misdirection and deception. We just don't know the full extent of what he does yet. Or who he is. All we've seen him do so far is some bank robberies. But when Spider-man crosses his path near the end of the book . . they've put themselves on each other's radar. So this is only the beginning of his role in the Ultimate Universe. Keep it coming guys. I love this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment