Thursday, November 27, 2008

Madame Xanadu #5 - Vertigo


This is another book that I kind of picked up on a whim. But, to me . . the selling point is that Matt Wagner is writing it. I think he's just amazing. And the way he has this character, Madame Xanadu, going across the lines of history . . being audience, and sometimes a participant, in history's major events . . is just brilliant. I'm also very impressed by the artwork of Amy Reeder Hadley. I'm really enjoying her style and her crisp clean lines. This time Nimue finds herself in Paris shortly before the revolution. She's a guest of Marie Antoinette. I think she enjoys the opulence, but has to cut her time short when she starts to glean what the future holds for the monarch and the country. We see a little more of her relationship with the Phantom Stranger also this issue. The thing I like about this series so far is the path they've chosen for the story. Obviously were working forward in time to the current Madame Xanadu. However, in the process, were cutting a swath through history, and learning the trials that are going to make her into the woman she is today. At the same time, we get a glimpse of all of these important points in history, and how Nimue played a small role in their outcome. Some with positive results, and some . . . bringing a head to a situation that already exists, because of her 'difference'. As is the result, at the end of this story, with Marie Antoinette. I think the entire creative staff of this book is doing a tremendous job. This is a book that keeps my interest, and makes me wonder what's going to happen next. In the end, that's all I really ask for to make me feel as if I've gotten my money's worth.

No comments:

Post a Comment