Saturday, November 29, 2008

Ultimatum #1 - Marvel


Ok, this one starts out with the $3.99 price-tag also, but . . . with Jeph Loeb and David Finch at the creative helm . . I really can't complain all that much. But you know what? That's ok. For the quality, I'm willing to pay the price. And this was one fantastic book. It starts out with us basically checking in on each and every character in the Ultimate Universe. It's a day like every other day, and people are going about their usual everyday stuff . . unaware that their entire existence is about to be turned on it's head. I'm not exactly sure what Magneto does, but . . he's got natural disasters covering the globe. Since most of our characters reside in, or around, New York City, that's where we see the brunt of the damage. Basically the whole city is flooded under about 100 feet of water. I'm not exactly sure how he accomplished that, but . . . I'm sure we'll get into more of the details in the next issue or two. We also see, in Latveria . . that he's put the whole country in the middle of Antarctica . . or, at least, it's weather. Apparently it also happened just as fast because there's people in the streets frozen in their tracks. Charles is the one who ends up broadcasting to all the survivors . . a call to arms, if you will. "I know what has transpired. Even more terrible . . I know how and why . . and he will not stop until it is worse. Much worse. We need to band together. Put any differences aside for the battle to come. I'm sending you my X-Men . . what's left of them. They will have the coordinates, but here is a mental image of where you must go. This is where you will find him. He does not fear your arrival. You have to stop Magneto." And all it says for the next issue is, "It Gets Worse!" This really was a fantastic issue. I just hope when all's said and done that there's still an Ultimate Universe to read. There's definitely going to be changes. Heck, in the first wave . . literally . . he already wiped out some of our favorite characters. I don't think anything is off limits for this one. Are you ready?

No comments:

Post a Comment