Thursday, November 27, 2008

Jack of Fables #27 - Vertigo

Before I get started here, I should apologize. I'm probably going to seem a bit more negative than usual . . or maybe just a bit more critical. I keep thinking about this price hike that's coming down the pike . . and it's really got me peeved. The simple truth is . . I'm going to have to cut some books off of my monthly list. There's books I really like, and there's books I'm interested in. The problem I have is that the books I really like all fall into the same genre . . super-heroes. It's what I was raised on, and read for the last 30 or so years. But the other stuff, the stuff I'm just interested in, is a welcome change of pace. It's stuff like this book, Madame Xanadu, Ex Machina, various mini-series, Jungle Girl, Hulk, Iron Man, etc., etc.. Right now I'm considering a future of Superman, Batman, X-Men and probably Spider-man. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but . . it doesn't leave much in the way of variety. But, I also have to be pragmatic. I can't keep shelling out what I am on a weekly basis. And I certainly can't afford to spend more for the same amount of books. So, I'm just going to have to 'grow-up' and realize that every hobby . . no matter how enjoyable . . has it's limits. Which is really bringing me down because I think my overall view and appreciation of the comic industry has grown in the last 10 years or so because of all of that variety. So anyways, over the course of the next few weeks or so, I'm probably going to be more critical of what I read because . . I'm going to have to decide what's to be cut. And I'm sorry to say, it's probably going to be some of these Vertigo titles . . including this one. I really enjoy the stories here by Bill Willingham and Matthew Sturges. The way they write is amazing. Their minds are all over the place. But, sometimes, it just doesn't keep my interest. With this issue, we're on the third chapter of this story about the Page sisters . . . and Bookburners attempt at overthrowing the Golden Boughs. I like it. I like the variety. But, it just doesn't jump off the page at me. I find my mind drifting as I read it. I read it because it's different. But, at the end, I find myself thinking . . "Who really cares?". And, I hate to admit, it's one of those books that I keep getting, not necessarily because of the story, but . . because I have them all . . I want it to be complete. Anymore, that can't be a consideration. I'm going to have to stick to the books I like. Somewhere along the line, this one probably won't be in that list anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment