Sunday, November 23, 2008

Checkmate #31 - DC


I really liked this book, and I'm sad that this is the final issue. There's so much more potential with this story . . . and this series. I even have to say, with this particular issue, that I enjoyed Manuel Garcia's pencils in it. I thought they fit the feel of the story very well. My only complaint is the conclusion. I mean . . we have all this build up on this new character . . Chimera. We feel sorry for him because he's basically a soldier that was experimented on . . after some serious injuries . . and was transformed into this new creature . . I guess, enhanced soldier or hero would actually be the right phrase. But, we feel sorry for him because it seems like he's lost all of his humanity with the transformation. There's this big build up with the mythical monsters that seem to have arisen from the ashes of folklore and are now threatening to lay waste to the world. Everywhere people are talking about it, they're talking about how this is Armageddon. There's also a lot of build up with Chimera's girlfriend . . in his previous life . . Chloe. She sees Chimera on TV and recognizes the rose tattoo on his neck. So she's been doing everything she can to get to Adam and see if she can reach him. She finally reaches him, and the final creature . . Qi Yu . . a 3 headed dragon . . abducts her. So, after all this build-up . . . Chimera figures out the one thing that'll scare Qi Yu . . the Angel Gabriel . . he turns in to him, and defeats him. That's it. Armageddon was supposedly stopped, by stopping this one creature. Chloe is rescued. And, apparently, now Adam Sharp can turn back in to his human form and everyone lives happily ever after. What the Hell!? Talk about an anti-climatic ending. One page Chimera turns into Gabriel and the Qi Yu is shrieking in agony . . . 2 pages later, the stories over with. They got a neat new character his with a whole lot of potential. But, I don't really feel like Bruce Jones did him any justice with this story. I'm not sure if they just had to finish this book up real fast or something, but . . I just feel like we were cheated with this ending. And what's going to happen with our world peace-keeping organization? Will they be back after Final Crisis, or what? I liked this book, but . . I was frustrated after reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment