Thursday, November 27, 2008

X-Men First Class: Giant Sized #1 - Marvel


I enjoyed this book. But, I don't know if it was as much as the regular series. I know. I know. It's pretty much done by the same creative team. Jeff Parker is really the driving force behind the book . . as with the series. It just had some different artists . . Jeff Parker, Kevin Nowlan, David Williams, Nick Kilislian and Michael Cho. I don't know exactly how to explain it . . the book just kind of felt like it lost the charm that it had through it's first 2 series. Maybe it's just me. The theme of the book was that Agent Baker had found some possible extra-terrestrial operations on Earth and wanted to get the X-Men to look into them for him. From there it kind of revolves around a Professor Philo who is trying to imitate life . . with plants, to satisfy his food source research. Through sheer boredom he's basically created a new life form out of plants. But then, the part I really didn't like, was that they worked in a tie to the Secret Invasion on the last page. Basically we oversee the Skrulls talking about their long-term plans, and that this Agent Baker is actually one of their sleeper agents. That part I didn't like. The rest of it was decent . . it just wasn't as charming and fun as the regular series. The series is supposed to be back in February. I'll probably give it another shot. I just didn't particularly like this issue. Sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment