Sunday, November 16, 2008

Ultimate Spider-man #127 - Marvel


With all the . . . various stuff going on over in Amazing Spider-man . . I'd have to say that this is my favorite Spider-man book right now. Although, to be fair, it has been in my top 10 pretty much it's entire run. I love this book. I love the dialogue that Brian Bendis writes for Peter's head. Eddie Brock has shown up at his school. He wants Peter's help to get his symbiote back. If Peter doesn't help him, he's threatening to out him to the media. So as Peter's swinging around town, trying to figure out who to go to for help, the dialogue that's running through his head is just perfect for a teen-ager . . . everything's doom and gloom, and every crisis seems like it's going to be the end of the world. Granted, Peter's problems are a little more complicated than your average teen-ager, but . . I still think the dialogue is perfect. I also like this book because, even though Brian is writing it, there's nothing going on in it as far as the alien invasion goes. Nary a Skrull to be found. Hallelujah! Peter doesn't find Venom this issue . . the last he saw him he was attached to him, and then the Ultimates drove him away. Peter actually wore the black costume in this series . . but only for like 1 page. But, Curt Conners, who released the other symbiote . . Carnage . . is helping SHIELD to study Gwen Stacey, whom Carnage took over when he killed her. Like I said, Peter's problems are a bit more complicated than your average teen-ager's. And they get even more complicated when Gwen / Carnage shows up at his house at the end of this issue. "I'm sorry Peter. I wasn't . . I swear I wasn't going to bother you anymore. I wasn't going to just come here like this but . . . I'm having a bit of trouble here. And I don't exactly know what to do.", she says as she sits on his bedroom floor . . looking like Gwen . . but with Carnage's face. I'd also like to say that I think Stuart Immonen is doing a great job with the art on this series. He's been on the book now for . . 10 issues, I think . . I just really feel that he's made this book his own. There's a double page spread of Peter swinging through mid-town, while he's trying to figure out what to do, that just looks incredible. I also like the double page spread of Peter in the bull-pen at the DB, trying to dig up information on the symbiote, Roxxon and Trask. The way the panels flow, and all the inner dialogue, you really get a sense of all the activity and chaos in the scene. Again . . it's brilliant. I'm a big fan of the Ultimate Universe, and I think this is the best book in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment