Saturday, November 29, 2008

Top 10: Season Two #2 - America's Best Comics


I liked this book. To me, it had a lot of the same feel as the original series. I know. Alan Moore is no longer associated with the book, but I think this Zander Cannon is approaching the story in a lot of the same ways as he did. I mean there's always a ton of stuff going on. With all the various characters in the precinct, we always seem to have 4 or 5 short story-lines going on each issue. And then 1 or 2 main story-lines that cross-over from issue to issue. Also I have to say, maybe it's just me, but the roll-call room, and the discussion about assignments, really reminds me of Hillstreet Blues. I know that sounds silly, but . . it does in a way. The only thing that I really think is different than the Moore version is the depth of characters. We've seen, and interacted, with a lot of them in these first 2 issues, but, so far, none of them have really stood out and grabbed us like Smax and Toybox did in the first series. That's just a minor complaint though. I really think Zander is doing a great job. Especially considering the huge shoes he has to fill. I also think it helps the feel of the series with Gene Ha's art. He was the artist on the original after all. Anyways, I like this series. I think it's neat to have this Police drama genre, but set in an outrageous Sci-fi environment. Using my other reference, it's almost like a crossing of Hillstreet Blues and Babylon 5. Both of which are very big compliments to be compared to. Keep up the good work. "And, be careful out there!"

No comments:

Post a Comment