Sunday, November 09, 2008

Batman - Gotham After Midnight #6 - DC


I enjoy this title. I really do. I think Steve Niles is a great writer, and of course I'm blown away by Kelley Jones art. This is also the perfect story-line for said art. However, having said that, I really get the feeling that this story is being stretched out on purpose to fill up 12 issues. I know that sounds strange to say . . obviously it's going to take 12 issues, that's how it's been advertised, but what I mean is . . . I feel like this story is being dragged and prolonged on purpose. This story probably could've been put out in 6 issues. Maybe even 4 . . . but that could've been a little tight. Sometimes that's what irritates me about these 12 issue maxi's. There's always a couple of issue that you could leave out, or just not read, in the middle, and it doesn't really impact your understanding or following of the story. I felt like this was one of those issues. Yes it was cool to see Kelley's interpretation of the Joker. Especially the scene where Batman punches him through a pumpkin and leaves the jack-o-lantern's face sticking to the Joker's. And the light of the jack-o-lantern's face reflecting off of Batman's black leather costume. Those were both classic Kelley Jones moments. But, overall I don't feel that there was any significant progress made in the story. We don't know how Midnight is controlling all of these Rogues. And we don't know how or why the Joker was even involved. The only significant piece of information to come forth through this story is the Joker's eluding to the identity of Midnight as Lieutenant Clarkson's partner, Barry Lucas. First of all, to me, that was just a name pulled out of a hat, and secondly . . on the final page, the accusation is discredited because we see Killer Croc attacking Barry, for some reason. Like I said, overall I enjoyed the book. I like these suspenseful, eerie Batman stories. Although with Steve's background I would think that it would be more so. But, nevertheless, it was an enjoyable reader . . . if for no other reason than it was a great Joker story. With 6 issues to go, I don't think we're going to find out Midnight's identity any time soon. But I'm sure we'll get a lot more red-herrings.

1 comment:

  1. How anyone can call this a good series is beyond me. The story is flimsy and just plain awful. The art is hard to look at. It wouldn't have surprised me at all if someone had said this story was written by a kindergartener because there's no rhyme or reason to anything that happens. Someone created what they felt was a super cool villain in Midnight[he's not] that can rip people's hearts out with a hook and chain and now we're waiting for the slowbuild to Batman vs. Midnight where, just like this story has been building, Batman can't beat him until it's time to beat him and there will be no dramatic twist to it or even anything remotely witty. He'll drop a cool one liner, knock Midnight out with a punch. There will be a tease that Midnight is dead somehow and in the end, since the guy who wrote this is a total queer, the comic will see it's final page with a big splash of Midnight's hand rising from the ground or his big goofy eyes looking out from the darkness, proclaiming "I'll be back" or "This isn't over" or something equally fucking stupid.

    This is garbage. I stuck with it through issue #5 and I hate that it took me that many issues and that many dollars to realize this story had no fucking direction.

    Give this shit to the fire.

    ReplyDelete