Saturday, November 08, 2008

Booster Gold #13 - DC


I don't necessarily want these blogs to be a blow-by-blow account of the story . . or the book, but . . I kind of think of these posts as a way for people to look back at books that maybe they didn't pick up and are wondering what they're all about. One of my first posts was the mini-series American Way, by WildStorm. Does anybody even remember that series? And that was only 2 1/2 years ago. So, 2 or 3 years from now, when these posts are 4 or 5 years old . . there's going to be a lot of books in here that either people don't remember, or never had the opportunity to enjoy. So, I see what I'm doing as sharing a bit of the feeling of the book with the readers of this post. So while I don't necessarily want to do a blow-by-blow, sometimes I think it's the best way to get across the feeling of the book. Other times I may talk more about the artists or writers, or how the book made me feel. But overall, I just want to open up this medium to people that may not be able, or willing, to participate. There's a lot of stereotypes here, and really . . I'd just like to shatter all of them. I enjoy these books, and I enjoy collecting them. The opportunity to share that with others? . . . it just help make it all seem that much more worth-while. Maybe those ambitions are a bit to lofty for a comic-geek, but . . . hey, you can't blame a guy for trying. Plus, the whole thing helps to keep me out of trouble, and focus more on family and work. Yes it's all a delicate balance. I haven't achieved it yet . . . but I'm working on it. Anyways, this book made me think of that because, really . . it's a book about family. Yes it's disguised in the veil of a time-traveling adventurer, who is actually quite responsible and resourceful . . . even though the rest of the world sees him as an opportunistic moron. But, most recently, the stories involve Michael, his sister Michelle and his as yet to be determined son, Rip Hunter. It's the familial edge, or dynamic, that helps to make the stories interesting and relevant. Because, I mean really, how could anyone connect with somebody who jumps around through time fixing things that we never even realized happened? We've recently switched creative forces behind this book. I'm not sure how long they'll be on board, but currently Rick Remender is the author in residence, and Pat Olliffe is the artistic force behind the vision. Geoff Johns and Dan Jurgens are going to be a hard act to follow, but . . I think these guys are doing a pretty decent job. Right now we have this whole cross-time, Starro the Conquerer thing going on. It's a bit . . . complicated, but it may lead to Booster learning the truth about his son. And, really, that may be why this book's stories seem to be ramping up. In the past, no-one's ever been privy to Rip's actual identity, or history. But, if someone were to put together the connection between Booster and Rip . . . there would definitely be new targets for them to aim at to change their histories. It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out, and . . how they decide to keep it all under wraps. It really is . . the biggest secret in history.

No comments:

Post a Comment