Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Young X-Men #1 - Marvel


Ok! This book took a twist at the end that I wasn't expecting. But, I'll get to that in a little bit. We have a new X-title here. It's not the New Mutants, or the New X-Men . . it's the Young X-Men. So I assume, this is going to be a full fledged X-team . . just with young members. And, if I wasn't sure of that, I am after we see Cyclops doing the recruiting for that team. They also aren't all just the New X-Men. There's people here we haven't seen before, and . . some that used to be "bad-guys". Apparently Scott has a very specific plan in mind, and a very specific list of powers that he's going to need to accomplish that plan. We don't know what that is yet, but I'm sure we'll see it rolling out in the next couple of issues. For now, he's taken all the people that he's gathered and gone back to Westchester to train in the "danger-cave". That's what he's calling it now. Interesting. Anyways, so far he's enlisted Nicholas Gleason, Sooraya, Eric Gitter, Santo and Blindfold. It's a good start, but I think there's going to be more members. It seems Scott's putting them together because . . "I'm reforming the X-Men. I'm doing it with and eye towards the dangers we face today. The enemies we face today. Those enemies aren't the Purifiers. As always, the biggest threat facing us come from our own. From other mutants. Specifically, a new Brotherhood of Evil Mutants." Ok! That sounds like a good idea. The plan sounds reasonable. But . . . now for the twist. The New Brotherhood is lead by . . . . Cannonball, and it's members are . . . the old New Mutants. I didn't see that one coming at all. So far, for issue #1, I thought it was an interesting story. We don't get to far in depth with motivations and reasons yet. But I'm sure they'll be coming. I thought Marc Guggenheim did a good job sucking us in to the first issue. Yanick Paquette is the artist. I'm really not a huge fan of his. I didn't really see to much to change my mind about that in this issue. But because I'm interested to see where these characters go, it is an X-book, and it's the first issue, so . . I'll keep my personal tastes to myself for now. This book has a lot of potential. I hope they live up to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment