Friday, April 18, 2008

Secret History of the Authority : Hawksmoor #1 - WildStorm


I liked this book. I thought it was an interesting story. However, when I first picked it up . . . I wasn't so sure. First of all is the Cully Hamner cover. I'm not a huge fan, and I thought if that's what the rest of the book would be like . . I might not pick up any more. When we go inside though . . it was a different artist. This book was done by a Finoa Staples. I've never heard of her, so I assume she's pretty new. I thought the art was interesting, but not overly impressive. I did like the beginning stuff when the Authority is in Kiev. There appears to be some giant forgotten Slavic god attacking the capital city. One by one the Authority's ego gets crushed as it takes them down much in the way we swat flys, or brush away ants. They barely seem to draw any attention from it at all. For some reason this takes Jack back to 1994 when a giant robot was attacking San Francisco. During that melee he met Juliet. "I knew right then she'd be trouble. That's why I decided to forget all about her." That is until later when there's a murder in Pacific Heights. Jack goes to investigate but for some reason nothing in the house . . not the floors, the TV, the windows . . nothing will tell him anything. Which, for him, is very unusual. What's even more unusual is that someone else enters the house without his sensing their approach. Who does it turn out to be? Take a wild guess. Anyways, I thought the first part of this story was interesting. Mike Costa is the writer. Now . . back to Fiona's art. As I was saying, I thought it was ok, but not overly flashy. But, as I worked through the story, it really grew on me. I liked her shading and coloring. I also really like her framing sequences. I especially thought it was good during the fight scene with Jack and the Robot over the harbor. It felt like you could actually feel him jumping around. Now? I'm really looking forward to the rest of this series. I mean, come on . . . the only reason I even picked it up was because it was the Authority. I love these characters, and it's one of my favorite groups out there. But, of that group, previously, in my opinion, Jack was one of the weakest and least interesting. I may be changing that opinion. But before I do, we'll see how this series plays out. From the first issue . . it looks pretty interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment