Monday, April 14, 2008

the Spirit #15 - DC



Another chapter in the life of the Spirit. I'm still not sure what the appeal of this guy is. Maybe in the 50's when our police role-models were Barney Fife & Sheriff Taylor, but now? Now we expect a little more sophistication from our crime fighters. We have CSI teams all over the television. Law & Order shows on some channel, like every night of the week. And even the Sheriff in Eureka has some common sense and street smarts. Maybe it's the nostalgia thing. I could accept that, but, I don't know if it's enough of a draw to publish a book month after month. I will say that I actually like Sergio Aragones and Mark Evanier's stories better. This issue Paul Smith does the art. It's not great, but it does keep in the same style as has been established throughout this run. I'm sorry, but to me, the Spirit just comes off as a goof . . a joke. I'm really only buying it because of my penchant . . . or obsession . . to have a complete run. I guess I'm hoping someday I can lump them together and sell them on E-Bay. Anyways, I read it. I don't get it. But I read it. I don't fault the creators because they're obviously doing what they've been told. Or, they're trying to make it look exactly like the old one. But to me, old-fashioned doesn't necessarily mean nostalgia. I'm sorry. I just can't get in to it.

1 comment:

  1. "I'm really only buying it because of my penchant . . . or obsession . . to have a complete run."

    Couldn't agree more. I've collected this one since the Spirit/Batman kickoff issue, and I'd feel almost guilty abandoning it at this point.

    It wasn't until Darwyn Cooke's run ended that I realized how talented he really is. I'm hanging in there at this point hoping this book finds its groove again.

    ReplyDelete