Sunday, April 27, 2008

Batman - Death Mask #1 - DC


This was an interesting book. I'm not really a manga fan, so, at first, I was a little confused about the story. I know enough that it reads from right to left, but . . not much else besides that. I started reading the book in the right order, but then I realized that the panels also go from right to left. I reread what I had already gone through, but honestly, it really didn't make that much of a difference in my understanding of the story. Most of the commentary was such that if you didn't read it exactly right . . it really came out about the same. Anyways, I'm not familiar with Yoshinori Natsume, but it looks like he's pretty talented and avid manga creator. This issue was basically a set-up for the story. There's a Japanese company in town . . the Agurama Corporation . . visiting Wayne Enterprises. At the same time there's some mysterious killings in which people's faces are cut off. Obviously the two are related, but . . we don't really know to what extent yet. Also Bruce is having dreams about the killings. He's seeing someone in the shadows that looks like Batman . . or at least his basic outline. Obviously it's not him, but it is enough to spook him. After the reception for Agurama, he comes face to face with him in an alley. Like I said, we don't really find out to much information this issue. I thought it was a pretty good set-up though. It'll be interesting to see where this 4 issue mini-series takes us. I'm intrigued . . but not overly excited by it. It is a nice change of pace though.

No comments:

Post a Comment