Monday, April 28, 2008

Justice Society of America #14 - DC


First of all, I have to say, I thought the regular cover by Alex Ross was superior to the alternate, $10, cover by Dale Eaglesham. Although that one was cool too . . how do you compete against Alex? Speaking of which, I think Geoff Johns and Alex Ross are doing a fantastic job with this story-line . . and these characters. I'm not sure what prompted the teaming up of these two great writers, other than the Gog / Magog story-line, but whatever it was . . should happen again. I thought that the Alex Ross / Jim Krueger co-plotting and scripting was pretty magical. But this? This, I think, goes beyond even that. This is a classic in the making. I like that even though we're dealing with this whole Kingdom Come story-line, which in and of itself is great . . we're also still getting regular glimpses in to the actions and characters of all the newbies. We even see the Infinity Man this issue. Another aspect, which I hadn't really thought of, is that in Countdown, and Death of the New Gods, we're seeing the end of the Fourth World. The Fifth World is about to come in to creation, and it looks like Darkseid may be the only survivor of the previous one. Well, in that same context, both figuratively and literally, it appears that Gog is the sole survivor of the Third World. So does that put him in the ranks of Darkseid? Or, is he actually trying to do what he thinks is right, and from his perspective the obvious course of events . . even though they're in conflict with our current beliefs and this Justice Society of America team. I'm not saying that's right or wrong. It just gives you a different way of looking at things. Maybe there's something there that we haven't seen, or had a chance to consider . . yet. In this issue, the team sends Sandy in to do some reconnaissance. Gog returns him to them on a pike. But, can you really kill a man whose made of the Earth? Now that he's come to them, the team is really trying to put the hurt on him. But, it doesn't appear that they're making much headway. I think Dale Eaglesham is doing an incredible job on the art for this series. I've said it before, but I was worried when I read that he would be the regular writer. I hadn't thought he'd really done anything that impressive . . up till now. Now? Now I think he amazes me every month . . and he's the perfect person for this book. There's some months that I think this title even surpasses the Justice League title. Which is also . . phenomenal. As long as these books stay at their current creative level . . I think they're going to continue to be a couple of the best books out there. A fantastic effort from all involved. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment